Help! Upgrade from fbsd 5.4 to 8.x

Volodymyr Kostyrko c.kworr at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 14:13:10 UTC 2010

On 31.01.2010 13:45, Erich Dollansky wrote:
>>> Strikes me most people will recommend (3) -- nice big new drive, no risk
>>> of destroying a working machine (can always slap old drive back in),
>>> easy migration of service by service, etc and so on. Strikes me as a
>>> PITA, but then again .. the others are probably all PITAs as well given
>>> the age of the box. Something will break, so maybe its best to just
>>> start fresh with a nice new install and go from there.
>>
>> Get a stick of flash, build system, install it on the flash and boot
>> from it. Try to keep all of your old binaries - I personally don't think
>
> hardware running 5.4 typically will not boot from USB.

Not totally true. 5.4 was released in 2005 whereas newest motherboard
with which I faced personally problems booting from USB was from 2003.
And it actually declares that it can boot from USB.

However it's quite possible the hardware would not boot from USB stick.
This way 8.0 kernel can be compiled with specifically setting that it
should take root from other fs - USB stick or formatted swap. Swap can
be too small. USB can be not the choice too - on the mentioned
motherboard system freezes on boot when any USB drive is present.

--
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.