Intel D510MO Mini-ITX Motherboard - Is anyone using FreeBSD on this?

Charlie Kester corky1951 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 29 10:20:38 UTC 2010

On Fri 29 Jan 2010 at 01:36:15 PST Dan Naumov wrote:

>Reports of successes with both adm64 andi386 versions of 8.0-RELEASE
>and Intel D510MO board have been showing up on a few different
>discussion forums now.
>
>I have to correct myself in regard to the Supermicro X7SPA-H board.
>The board seems to be roughly 2 times as expensive as the Intel D510MO
>(~75$ for the D150MO vs $150-170$ for the X7SPA-H). However, these
>prices seem to only be like that in the US. When looking at European
>prices, it seems that the D510MO board goes for about 75-80 euro and
>the X7SPA-H goes for about 190-230 euro, depending on country and
>reseller. So while the Supermicro board is roughly twice as expensive
>as the Intel board in the US, it's roughly 3 times as expensive if you
>are buying in Europe.
>
>I still ended up going with the X7SPA-H though (finally pulled the
>plug on ordering all the parts for a new system yesterday), mainly
>because it saves me the trouble of immideately having to hunt for an
>additional disk controller card: the D510MO has only 2 SATA ports and
>a PCI slot for expansion (and I have REALLY burned myself badly on the
>performance of PCI disk controller cards in the past), while the
>X7SPA-H comes with 6 native SATA ports on an ICH9R controller and has a
>4xPCIE (in 16x physical form) for expansion.

Don't the Supermicro boards also have a better network chip than the
Realtek one used on Intel's boards?

FWIW, my Kill-a-Watt meter says the D510MO is drawing about 25W on
average.  That's for everything inside the case.  If I'd gone with a
single-core chip and a solid-state drive, I could probably get that down
to about 20W.   This is definitely a green machine!