Help booting FreeBSD with a ZFS root filesystem

Ross Penner ross.penner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 19:29:30 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 7:39 AM, Randal L. Schwartz
<merlyn at stonehenge.com> wrote:

> Ross> That seems to have been the problem.
>
> Yes, what I learned the hard way is that every single step there needs to be
> precisely followed, without deviation, even if you don't understand it or
> think it's important. :)

Yes! But because I was extra anal retentive this time around, I've run
into some more trouble. I have 2 disks and I only added one when I
created the zroot pool. Now that my system is booted I figured I could
just go 'zpool add -f zroot /dev/gpt/disk1' but I get the error
message: "cannot add to 'zroot': root pool cannot have multiple vdevs
or seperate logs".

I prepared the second disk in a similar manner to the first: "gpart -t
freebsd-zfs -l disk1 ad6".