SNMP of FreeBSD

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Wed Jan 27 02:06:22 UTC 2010

Steven Friedrich wrote:

> I want to find out what I can monitor with it.  I don't know enough about it
> to know if it will be useful to me.  I'm an old hardware guy and I've been
> Admin'ing my own systems for many years. I am having a hard time finding
> pertinent documentation.
>
> I know one of the ports allows you to monitor the cpu, memory, etc.
>
> I already have a Superkaramba theme that has a StarTrek gauge for cpu, memory,
> swap, network in, network out, etc.
>
> I just want to know if SNMP has anything to offer me...

...out of curiosity, are you simply trying to gain info on your local
machine that you are working from?

I use SNMP for network management, so I assumed that from the beginning.
 If what you are looking for is gathering stats from only the hardware
that you are working on, that is a bit of a different story.

With that said, I may be able to provide configs for that, too.

Steve