Help booting FreeBSD with a ZFS root filesystem

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Tue Jan 26 15:42:00 UTC 2010

>>>>> "krad" == krad  <kraduk at googlemail.com> writes:

krad> Not sure if there will be any issues with hostid being different. I
krad> presume the pool is imported with a -f option on boot

No.  The bootloader will not work with drives that were not imported at time
of shutdown.  One of the things I learned the hard way.

I kept "exporting" after installation, out of my OCD to "cleanly unmount"
everything before shutting down, and then cursed at my machine for not
seeing the disk on boot.  After four times of installing from scratch,
I finally followed the instructions precisely (*without* the export),
and it worked just fine.

So, no, the bootloader will not import and especially not import -f.