can't load smbfs kernel module

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Mon Jan 25 16:39:04 UTC 2010

Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> This is on FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #0 r202964M ia64
>
> I've built a kernel with smbfs module:
>
> # ls -al /boot/kernel/smb*
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  265579 25 Jan 13:36 /boot/kernel/smbfs.ko
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  680186 25 Jan 13:36 /boot/kernel/smbfs.ko.symbols
>
> but can't load it:
>
> # kldload smbfs
> kldload: can't load smbfs: No such file or directory
>

> Other modules load fine with kldload, e.g.:

Does it make any difference to use the ".ko" extension, to
call it by absolute path, or to use "-v" for more information,
per The Friendly Manual?

Certainly no expert.  Wondering tho, as I don't know if
the kernel maintains a list of "new" objects if they've been
recently added.  Hate to ask if you've done a reboot :-)

Also, for curiosity, `file /boot/kernel/smbfs.ko`?