Backward compatibility libraries?

John john at starfire.mn.org
Sat Jan 23 19:14:02 UTC 2010

The GENERIC 8.0 kernel and the kernel I built for my new FreeBSD 8.0
system both contain
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         # Compatible with FreeBSD4

yet, when I try to run a program compiled on the FreeBSD 4.3 system on
the new system, I get
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.4" not found, required by "pipetype"

So - there must be some compatibility libraries somewhere.  I've
looked in Packages and in Distributions, and didn't see what I'm
looking for (probably looking right at it).

What am I missing?

Thanks!
--

John Lind