Upgrade from i386-8.0 to amd64-8.0 possible?

LoH lordofhyphens at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 22:16:53 UTC 2010

I've got a system currently running FreeBSD-i386-8.0, and was wondering
whether or not it's possible to move the system to FreeBSD-amd64-8.0
without bringing it down for more than a reboot or two (and avoid
reinstalling all of the client software on the box itself).

The box itself will be undergoing a hardware change from a dual xeon
(P4, not 64bit) to a dual opteron. I think I can boot i386, set up a
amd64 cross-compile, then compile a new kernel with it, or do a binary
change to the new arch and then reboot.

--Joseph Lenox