Can't mountroot from ZFS pool

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Tue Jan 19 15:46:51 UTC 2010

krad wrote:

> 2010/1/11 Steve Bertrand <steve at ibctech.ca <mailto:steve at ibctech.ca>>
>
>     All,
>
>     I've successfully upgraded the disks in my ZFS backup server, and can
>     import/mount the pool properly.
>
>     However, I designed this box originally so that it mounts / from
>     zfs:storage after booting from a USB stick.
>
>     After the upgrade of the disks, I'm stuck at a mountroot prompt when I
>     attempt to boot the system with the original USB /boot key.
>
>     Can someone inform me how to find the / filesystem at the mountroot
>     prompt? If not, is there *any* way to boot the system normally from
>     another medium, and then 'reload' the system with the ZFS / after its
>     been mounted so that the system functions as designed (ie. cron
>     works etc)?

> did you export the pool at all before rebooting it?

Yes, I did.

I just finally got it resolved :)

It appears as though by importing the zpool onto another system
obsoleted the cache file on the original USB /boot disk.

I exported, then imported the pool on the secondary system, then copied
the cache file into the /boot/zfs directory on my original boot medium.

Things are now working again, and I have all of my new storage and
original data in place!

Thanks for all the help!

Steve