OOo question.....

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Sun Jan 17 10:41:19 UTC 2010

On Sunday 17 January 2010, Gary Kline wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 10:27:59AM +0000, Mike Clarke wrote:
> > On Saturday 16 January 2010, Gary Kline wrote:

[snip]

> > > 	Second q is howto use them for my desktop backgrounds in KDE
> > > since, upon rebuild and relaunch, everything is black.   the
> > > first question is howto save a separate image?  or are there
> > > other tools to do this? [neither xv nor gv work]
> >
> > Right click on a blank piece of the KDE desktop and select
> > "Configure Desktop". This should open with the "Change the
> > background settings" icon highlighted. In the "Background" section
> > click the "Picture" radio button and click the folder icon on the
> > right to browse to your selected image.
>
> 	(Several hours later).
>
> 	I found the place and added three 'wallpapers'; they haven't
> appeared. Probably will after I've rebooted.

The new wallpaper should appear immediately after you click on "OK"
or "Apply".

> ---I see that my newest KDE is 3.5.10.

That's what I'm using.

> Sometime this year I'll try KDE4 again.--

When I upgraded to FreeBSD 8.0 about a month ago I let sysinstall put
KDE4 on me. Big mistake [1]. I disliked it intensely and, after a few
days trying to come to terms with it, I reverted back to 3.5.10. YMMV
but for me it was just too clumsy and bloated with a lot of new
superfluous eye candy and lacked some simple and useful features that
I'd become accustomed to. Given time perhaps I could have configured it
to my liking but I couldn't see it offering anything useful that I
didn't already have with 3.5 so it didn't seem worth the effort of
continuing with it.

[1] I suspect that my badly managed effort of deinstalling all of KDE4
and installing KDE3 was the main cause of the problems described in my
recent thread "Problems building en-openoffice.org-GB-3.1.1 from ports"
<http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2010-January/210421.html>
which resulted in me having to remove and reinstall all my ports.

--
Mike Clarke