syslog - ipmon(8) logs to a wrong log file?

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Sat Jan 16 16:23:42 UTC 2010

This is on FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT ia64.
I've ipfilter built into the kernel,
with logging enabled:

options         IPFILTER
options         IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK
options         IPFILTER_LOG

It works fine, but logs to a wrong file.

I run ipmon with -Ds options:

# ps ax|grep ipmon
  740  ??  Ss     1:28.09 /sbin/ipmon -Ds
#

"D" is for deamon mode, and "s" is to log via syslog.
According to ipmon(8):

	The default facility when compiled and installed is security.

So I've in /etc/syslog.conf:

security.*                                      /var/log/ipfilter.log

but I get all ipmon messages in /var/log/messages.
According to my /etc/syslog.conf this file shouldn't
have ipmon messages:

*.notice;authpriv.none;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err   /var/log/messages

What am I doing wrong?

Please advise
many thanks

--