Server set up

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Sat Jan 16 00:55:17 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 12:40:12AM +0000, davidoweir3 at yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> Bandmin is for cranewitch

Whatever that is.  I haven't heard of that either.

> Were can i get a free or cheap email exchange from

???   You mean the software or some service?

> If i am going to make the machine for yeahosting use what software do i
> need to install and is free bsd a forum of unix or Linux

You really need to get on the FreeBSD web site and start reading.
It has all the information there and links to even more discussions.
Learn to use Google.

You cannot expect people on the list to do all your homework for you.
You have to learn this stuff and then ask questions about the parts
you have trouble with.    This stuff is already written up.   We
should not have to write it all again.

FreeBSD is a BSD family UNIX.   Now look up what that means.

> And what bit do you recommend and i have a external hard drive also for
> that pc and this one for more storage

????  Huh - what bit???

> Do i need to install apache and PHP and tomcat plus Ajax + pythan

Only if you need them.   I have never had need for tomcat or python
or Ajax, but use Apache httpd web server a lot and some PHP.
You need to think out what you are doing, study up on it and then
do some experimenting.   Since you plan to wipe that W98 machine
and start over on it, then you can easily read and experiment and
restart several times without any loss.   Then you can learn it well.

Have fun,

////jerry