any port use /dev/dsp directly?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Fri Jan 15 00:14:06 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 05:08:25PM -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Jan 14), Gary Kline said:
> > On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 03:19:47PM -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > > The sox port comes with its own "play" command that can parse many
> > > containers and encodings, including wav files.
> >
> > I did see that.  I'm wondering of theses is some sox translation that
> > would do say
> >
> > %sox -w WAV -r [rawoutfile]
>
> Certainly; file conversion is one of the basic purposes of sox.  Something
> like:
>
>   sox myfile.wav -b 16 -e signed -r 22050 -c 2 myfile.raw
>
> will convert the wav file (whatever its format is) to a signed 16-bit stereo
> raw file.  For raw files, you can also use special file extensions that
> specify the encoding ("myfile.s16" for example, for a signed 16-bit file).
> Adding "-V3" to the beginning of the command will print the full input and
> output specs, plus the filter chain required to do the conversion (if any).
> The sox and soxformat manpages are pretty comprehensive.

	yes, the man page is thorough, but almost unreadable, at least to me.
	i found a tutorial with exaples that should the WAV to RAW conversion.
	on my freebsd desktop, sox didn't like it.  it kept echoing the usage.

	on my ubuntu system, sox failed completely complaining that that it
	wasn't set for "auto" ..... [?]  I checked again here to see if sox as
	play would work, and it does.  so at least that much works.

	the error output escapes me.  doesn't the ``-r 22050'' specify the
	sampling rate?

play FAIL formats: bad input format for file `myfile.raw': sampling rate was not specified

    The 7.79a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php