GELI file systems unusable after "glabel label" operations

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Thu Jan 14 07:31:58 UTC 2010

     I used "glabel label" to label each of the file systems I have on external
disk drives.  Unfortunately, afterward I am now unable to "geli attach" any of
the GELI-encrypted file systems.  The system is FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE.  Is there
a way to get this to work?  Or have I just lost everything in the encrypted
file systems?

hellas# geli attach -k work.key /dev/label/work
geli: Cannot read metadata from /dev/label/work: Invalid argument.
hellas# ls -lgF /dev/label/
total 0
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 192 Jan 14 00:47 archives
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 191 Jan 14 00:47 backupsi
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 182 Jan 14 00:47 backupsl
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 166 Jan 14 00:47 backupss
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 179 Jan 14 00:47 sec
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 161 Jan 14 00:47 usrobj
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 184 Jan 14 00:47 usrports
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 186 Jan 14 00:47 vboxdisk
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 181 Jan 14 00:47 work
hellas#

     Any help in recovering the lost data would be deeply appreciated.  If
that cannot be done, then at least knowing that would keep me from wasting
further time on it.  Thanks much.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG