Crontab not working??

Kaya Saman SamanKaya at netscape.net
Thu Jan 14 00:20:36 UTC 2010

Hi,

I installed logwatch from ports only it didn't install a crontab for me
like Linux or Solaris does so I ended up attempting to copy my Linux
crontab into FreeBSD.

It didn't work so I tried to cut down areas which I suspected might not
work and ended up with the syntax below for root:

crontab -l shows:

@reboot           root    /usr/local/sbin/logwatch.pl
02 4 * * *     root    /usr/local/sbin/logwatch.pl

The interesting thing here is that it shows them as being run:

rd1# cat /var/log/cron | grep logwatch
Jan 12 04:02:00 rd1 /usr/sbin/cron[5882]: (root) CMD
(root^I/usr/local/sbin/logwatch.pl)
Jan 13 04:02:00 rd1 /usr/sbin/cron[8898]: (root) CMD
(root^I/usr/local/sbin/logwatch.pl)

but only nothing is being emailed to me....?

If I run the pearl file locally as in: /usr/local/sbin/logwatch.pl   it
works fine and email is sent.

I know I am missing something but for the life of me can't work out what!

Can anyone be of assistance?

Many thanks,

Kaya