8.0-R-p2 ZFS: unixbench causing kmem exhaustion panic

Doug Poland doug at polands.org
Wed Jan 13 21:39:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, January 13, 2010 13:57, Ivan Voras wrote:
> 2010/1/13 Doug Poland <doug at polands.org>:
>>

> Can you monitor and record kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.size sysctl while
> the test is running (and crashing)?
>
> This looks curious - your kmem_max is ~~ 1.2 GB, arc_max is 0.5 GB and
> you are still having panics. Is there anything unusual about your
> system? Like unusually slow CPU, unusually fast or slow drives?
>
> I don't have any ideas smarter than reducing arc_max by half then try
> again and continue reducing it until it works. It would be very
> helpful if you could monitor the kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.size sysctl
> while you are doing the tests to document what is happening to the
> system. If it by any chance stays the same you should probably monitor
> "vmstat -m".

Ok, I re-ran with same config, but this time monitoring the sysctls
you requested* ( and the rest I was watching ):

panic: kmem_malloc(131072): kmem_map too small: 1292869632 total
allocated
cpuid = 0

* kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.size: 166228176
  vfs.numvnodes: 2848
  vfs.zfs.arc_max: 536870912
  vfs.zfs.arc_meta_limit: 134217728
  vfs.zfs.arc_meta_used: 132890832