Virtualbox and bridged interface.

Juergen Lock nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Wed Jan 13 18:01:47 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 08:15:58PM +0100, Juergen Lock wrote:
> In article <20100102005808.12d46e63 at baby-jane.lamaiziere.net> you write:
> >Le Fri, 1 Jan 2010 17:36:30 -0600,
> >Adam Vande More <amvandemore at gmail.com> a =E9crit :

> >> Bridged networking doesn't work on wireless interfaces.
> >
> >Ah ok :(
> >
> >I would be happy to know why, briefly. Is it a limitation in the
> >wireless connection or a limitation in the operating system (FreeBSD)?
> >
> The problem is caused by the fact that hosts on wifi can usually only
> use a single mac address, and while the vbox code does contain a
> `shared mac' feature thats supposed to work around this problem this
> feature hasn't been ported for FreeBSD hosts yet.
>
> >I've used some bridged guests on Mac OS X and vmware fusion but I don't
> >remember if I used the ethernet or the wireless interface.
> >
> >To J.D.Bronson: no mac authentication here, thanks for the "shot in the
> >dark" anyway.
> >
> >So I will try to setup a vpn between the host and the guest.
>
>  There is another workaround tho that you can try involving a tap
> interface, routing, proxy arp, and a patch to vbox to enable direct
> tap networking,
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/vbox/patch-tapdirect.txt
> more details including a config example in this post:
> 	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2010-January/007260.html
> (I patched vbox 3.1.2 thats not commtted to ports yet, it's possible
> the patch doesn't apply to the older version in ports.  The latest vbox
> 3.1.2 Call for testing is here:
> 	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2010-January/007241.html
> The patch can go in that port's files/ dir.)

All committed to ports now, including the shared mac feature so bridged
mode on wifi should now work in the new emulators/virtualbox-ose* ports:
	http://www.freshports.org/commit.php?message_id=201001130803.o0D83HFe012322@repoman.freebsd.org

 Please see http://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox for update instructions.

 Enjoy, :)
	Juergen