mtree unable to find group wheel, possible corrupt /etc/group file

keneasson keneasson at zoho.com
Wed Jan 13 16:47:33 UTC 2010

---- On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 21:44:28 +0600 Yuri Pankov <yuri.pankov at gmail.com> wrote ----

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 09:32:41PM +0600, keneasson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a number of ports that will build but not install.
>
> The error is:
>
> ===> Generating temporary packing list
> ===> Checking if deskutils/gucharmap already installed
> mtree: line 1: unknown group wheel---

wheel---? Check your /etc/mtree/ files also for mergemaster's cruft.

> *** Error code 1
>

> I discovered that i had patch code left over from mergemaster in my /etc/group file, i have deleted and rebooted.
> unfortunately, i still get the same error when i try to install ports.
>
> the group file seems to have been readable to something, as i could sudo and su from my login user.
>
> any help greatly appreciated.
>
> # $FreeBSD: src/etc/group,v 1.35.10.1 2009/08/03 08:13:06 kensmith Exp $
> #
> wheel:*:0:root,justken,www
> daemon:*:1:
> kmem:*:2:
> sys:*:3:
> tty:*:4:
> operator:*:5:root
> authpf:*:63:
> _pflogd:*:64:
> _dhcp:*:65:
>
> -ken

Yuri
Thank you,
not sure where the fluff came from but the culprit was:
/usr/local/etc/mtree/BSD.gnome.dist:
which had group=wheel--- /etc/group 1 mode=0755

seems i might have other cruft too:
tar: +*: Not found in archive

Thanks.
ken.