cannot install apache22 on FBSD 8.0

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Jan 13 09:09:51 UTC 2010

PJ wrote:
> Gentlemen,
> I am absolutely stupefied by apache22, php5, php5-extensions and
> phpmysql refusing to be updated or installed
> I did manage to do one installation on a freshly upgraded box from 7.2
> to 8.0 but with very frustrating and time consuming efforts. I still
> don't know how I managed, but it seems to work, for the moment anyway.
> Could someone explain to me why there is a problem with apache22, php5
> and the rest - when doing an upgrade from 7.2 to 8.0.
> I followed the instructions in the handbood to the letter and both times
> there is a problem.
> Am I doing something that is not evident in the instructions. Even the
> apache site states very clearly that and update is about as simple as
> could be.
> The long list of errors when installing apache seem to deal with a lot
> of undeclared stuff (first use in this function) for a lot of uldap
> stuff like cache, connection etc. etc.
> How does one deal with this as there seems to be nothing on google.
> TIA

You're installing quite a complex interconnected group of ports there, and
it can go wrong in any number of new and exciting ways.  We can't tell exactly
what has gone wrong from what you tell us -- but it's almost certainly a
problem fairly high up the dependency tree which is screwing things up for
all of the ports lower down you're having trouble with.

As a general strategy for making this work, probably the most effective
route is 'back to square one.'  Rip out everything that apache, php etc.
depend on, and start again from scratch.  This includes all options settings
for those ports under /var/db/ports/.

When reinstalling a group of interconnected ports like this, I find it
beneficial to sort out all of the OPTIONS settings over the whole dependency
tree before trying to compile anything.  One of the unfortunate characteristics
of the way OPTIONS processing works at the moment is that changing an option
somewhere can add or remove other ports from the dependency tree, and those in
their turn may have their own OPTIONS settings, but those OPTIONS are not
processed in that pass.  There are patches to correct that behaviour in PR
ports/141641 but until that or something like it is committed, the trick is
to run 'make config-recursive' repeatedly, until you no longer get presented
with any of the blue OPTIONS dialogues.

Some ports may not give you an OPTIONS dialogue but still have configuration
settings you can tweak by setting make(1) variables.  In this case, I recommend
preserving your settings by adding them to /etc/make.conf.  Changing a setting like this can affect the dependency tree in exactly the same way as changing an
option, so re-running 'make config-recursive' /yet again/ is a good idea.

I wrote a piece about this earlier in the context of reinstalling all ports as
part of the process of upgrading 7.2 -> 8.0, which you might like to refer to:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2010-January/210449.html

Note: there's a fairly tricky interplay between www/apache22 and devel/apr
which only affects you if you enable the APR_FROM_PORTS option in the apache22
OPTIONS dialogue -- both www/apache22 and devel/apr can be configured to add
dependencies on all sorts of fairly large software groups (Berkeley DB, MySQL,
LDAP, PostgreSQL ...) and to toggle threading support.  Empirically I've come
to the conclusion that if you're compiling against devel/apr, then devel/apr
has to include matching support for all the software groups enabled in the
apache22 options, or building apache22 will fall over in a twisty mess of
dependencies, all alike.  However, you pretty much cannot get the OPTIONS
settings right in one pass of 'make config-recursive' starting from the
www/apache22 directory.  You can avoid some trouble by *not* enabling
the APR_FROM_PORTS option -- which is the default, but loses some flexibility
if you're going to be rebuilding Apache or any 3rd party apache modules quite
a bit.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3