Endianness

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Jan 12 22:32:17 UTC 2010

Rob Farmer <rfarmer at predatorlabs.net> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Lowell Gilbert
> <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:

>> As the original poster observed, PowerPC, Sparc and IA64 are all capable
>> of being used in either endian setting.
>>
>> I checked endian.h, and it looks as though FreeBSD uses Sparc as
>> big-endian, IA64 as little-endian, and PowerPC as whatever it picks up
>> from gcc (probably big-endian, since the architecture does funny things
>> with alignment in little-endian mode.
>>
>> My best advice, though, is to suggest that Mr. Farmer shouldn't assume
>> that the application will work anywhere without actually trying it.
>
> Well, the upstream author states in the documentation that there are
> endian problems and to use it only on little endian machines. I don't
> have any hardware that is non-i386/amd64 and about a year ago when I
> tried to cross build to powerpc in tinderbox it didn't work, so I
> can't really do that.

I didn't mean to imply that you need to check, just that it's likely to
not work (regardless of endianness) and you should be aware of that.
powerpc and sparc aren't "tier-1" architectures anyway, so ordinary
users are unlikely to run into them, and there are probably lots of
ports that won't run on them.  The tinderbox doesn't even build for
powerpc.

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/