zpool upgrade - is it safe?

krad kraduk at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 12 21:57:22 UTC 2010

2010/1/12 Rolf Nielsen <listreader at lazlarlyricon.com>

> Hi all,
>
> I just upgraded to a more recent version of 8.0-STABLE, and I noticed
> during boot that zfs had changed from version 13 to version 14. Is it safe
> to run zpool upgrade -a on a system while in multiuser, or will I have to
> take some security measures, such as creating a complete backup and/or
> booting into singleuser?
>
> Rolf Nielsen

Its fine to upgrade a pool in multi user mode as it is with most things zfs.
However beware when up upgrade a pool as once you have you cant go back, and
if you want the revert to your previous install you wont be able to.
Therefore a general rule of thumb is unless you need a new feature on a new
pool version dont upgrade it. A least wait a few weeks until your new
install is fully bedded in and tested