watching WebEx session on FreeBSD

Colin Albert colintrebla at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 16:02:29 UTC 2010

On 01/12/10 10:48, Warren Block wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Matthias Apitz wrote:
>
>> Has someone had luck with watching a WebEx session on FreeBSD based
>> desktop? As far as I understand, it is somehow Flash and RDP based, i.e.
>> some tools like Firefox with flash and a RDP client are required.
>> I'm always forced to launch a VM with XP to watch such sessions and it
>> would be good for me to overcome this situation.
>
> The Linux Webex client might work.
> http://support.webex.com/support/system-requirements.html says it'll
> run under Fedora 10, and linux_base-f10 works well.
>
> Failing that, there's Wine.  Firefox and the Flash plugin run under
> Wine.  There are occasional graphic artifacts and Firefox windows want
> a double-click on the close gadget to actually close, but otherwise it
> works very well. Java also runs, although there it's not 100%.  Maybe
> enough for Webex.
>
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA
I have also tried WebEx in FreeBSD with similar results.  I have not
tried using f10, but I wonder if the WebEx Java component detects that
it's running in diablo (or rather not a recognised Java engine).

FWIW I have had success with other similar products in FreeBSD, namely
MeetingPlace. IMO it runs better in FreeBSD than Windows.

- Colin