Solved: Problems building en-openoffice.org-GB-3.1.1 from ports

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Tue Jan 12 10:10:45 UTC 2010

and on Sunday 03 January 2010, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> [...]
> actively updated system. * For the end-use packages you choose, run
> 'make config-recursive' before you start building anything to ensure
> you've selected all the required options.  Or use portmanager(1)
> which runs you through the config stage first of all.  You need to be
> a bit careful doing this, as toggling an option in a port can
> radically change its dependency list, and may bring new sets of
> options into play.  To resolve that, you'll need to re-run 'make
> config-recursive' until it no longer prompts you to make any OPTIONS
> settings.  [There's a PR to fix this behaviour in the works, but it
> hasn't been committed yet.]
>     * Where there are ports that have compilation flags or knobs that
> aren't controlled through OPTIONS dialogues, then be sure to record
> any non- default settings in /etc/make.conf.  You can use a construct
> like this to only apply settings to specific ports:
>
> .if ${.CURDIR:M*/mail/dkim-milter}
> WITH_LIBDKIM_INSTALL=   yes
> WITH_LIBDKIM_SHARED=    yes
> WITH_VERIFY_DOMAINKEYS= yes
> WITH_STATS=             yes
> WITH_DNS_UPGRADE=       yes
> .endif
>
>       Well known KNOBS should be set globally where you aren't using
> the default setting, eg:
>
> WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=      yes
> WITH_BDB_VER=           47
> WITH_MYSQL_VER=         51
> WITH_OPENLDAP_VER=      24
> WANT_OPENLDAP_SASL=     yes
> WITH_GECKO=             libxul
> WITH_APACHE2=           yes
> APACHE_PORT=            www/apache22
> WITH_MODPERL2=          yes
> PERL_VERSION=		5.10.1
>
>       Again, changing these settings can affect the dependency tree
> and potentially bring new sets of OPTIONS into play, so test
> repeatedly with 'make config-recursive'
>     * It's a good idea to run 'make fetch-recursive' or 'portinstall
> -RF ...' or 'portmaster -F ...' after sorting out configuration to
> download any distfiles before trying to build everything, as this is
> another place where a big build session can blow up while you aren't
> looking.  It's not mandatory though.
>     * Once everything is configured nicely, it should be possible to
> just run a massive portupgrade(1) or portmaster(1) session unattended
> to build and install everything, without finding that 10 minutes
> after you went home the build stopped at an OPTIONS screen and sat
> there all night... In fact, it is well worth temporarily defining
> BATCH in make.conf or the environment to just accept the defaults for
> anything not yet configured during a big build job like this. (But
> not otherwise. BATCH isn't a good idea for an incremental upgrade
> IMHO.)
>
> If you follow these guidelines when installing the system you should
> find that not only does it make your initial install run smoothly,
> but it sets you up well for managing updates to the installed system

Thanks very much for your help. I've followed your guidelines and
totally removed and re-installed all my ports. Although the rebuild ran
for about 13 hours it went very smoothly and was time well spent. I was
then able to build OpenOffice without any problems in a further 6
hours.

An additional benefit is that a number of apparently inexplicable minor
problems have now gone away, I can even use the latest Nvidia driver
now, previously I'd had to downgrade to nvidia-driver-96.43.13 because
all the later Nvidia drivers just froze on start-up with a black
screen.

--
Mike Clarke