installing FreeBSD 8 on SSDs and UFS2 - partition alignment, block sizes, what does one need to know?

Dan Naumov dan.naumov at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 08:45:34 UTC 2010

For my upcoming storage system, the OS install is going to be on a
80gb Intel SSD disk and for various reasons, I am now pretty convinced
to stick with UFS2 for the root partition (the actual data pool will
be ZFS using traditional SATA disks). I am probably going to use GPT
partitioning and have the SSD host the swap, boot, root and a few
other partitions. What do I need to know in regards to partition
alignment and filesystem block sizes to get the best performance out
of the Intel SSDs?

Thanks.

- Sincerely,
Dan Naumov