rc.d script not working for Xmms2 :-(

Kaya Saman SamanKaya at netscape.net
Fri Jan 8 10:23:56 UTC 2010

Hi guys,

I'm just attempting to create a startup script for Xmms2 so that the
service can autostart on boot!

So far I have Google'd around and found very little, the most promising
site was this:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/rc-scripting/rcng-daemon.html

which gives a script of this:

#!/bin/sh

. /etc/rc.subr

name="mumbled"
rcvar=`set_rcvar`
command="/usr/sbin/${name}

load_rc_config $name
run_rc_command "$1"

So far I have modified the script to look like this:

#!/bin/sh

. /etc/rc.subr

name="xmms2-launcher"
rcvar=`set_rcvar`
command="/usr/local/bin/${name}" -u kaya

load_rc_config $name
run_rc_command "$1"

and given it the name xmms2-launcher, the location of the script is in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/

I also have this line in /etc/rc.conf:

xmms2-launcher_enable="YES"

Only when I attempt to start the script I get this information back:

-u: not found
xmms2-launcher_enable=YES: not found
./xmms2-launcher: WARNING: $xmms2-launcher_enable is not set properly -
see rc.conf(5).
Cannot 'start' xmms2-launcher. Set xmms2-launcher_enable to YES in
/etc/rc.conf or use 'onestart' instead of 'start'.

I would like to start the daemon as user kaya which is why I have the -u
added in the script but am completely lost now as I'm not great at
scripting since this is quite advanced for the simple stuff I do know about!

Can anyone help me??

Many thanks and best regards,

Kaya