Abiword window corruption

Charlie Kester corky1951 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 6 22:57:46 UTC 2010

On Wed 06 Jan 2010 at 14:16:55 PST Charlie Kester wrote:
>On Wed 06 Jan 2010 at 13:52:53 PST Charlie Kester wrote:
>>On Wed 06 Jan 2010 at 13:16:51 PST Warren Block wrote:
>>>With the recent mentions of Abiword, I've reinstalled it.  Yet it
>>>has the same problem it had the last time I tried it: random
>>>pixels under the current row of text, the old cursor isn't erased
>>>when you move to a different line.  Am I the only one that sees
>>>this?
>>>
>>>Sample here: http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/abiword/abiword.jpg
>>
>>I just reinstalled it too.  ;-)
>>
>>I don't see any stray pixels like you're seeing. One thing I notice is
>>that your cursor is a lot thicker than the one I'm seeing.  If Abiword
>>is expecting you to have a thinner cursor, that might be why it doesn't
>>erase the extra pixels when you move it.
>>
>>I also see several differences in the appearance of your toolbar buttons
>>and other UI elements.  What window manager are you using, and what
>>theme?
>
>I just remembered that I had implemented a tip I got somewhere for
>forcing use of the condensed versions of the DejaVu fonts.  Try saving
>the attached file in home directory as .fonts.config and see if it
>makes any difference when you restart X and abiword.

On second thought, this is probably a red herring.  If the stray pixels
don't go away when you use a different font or change the point size,
this tweak of the DejaVu font has nothing to do with it.

Sorry for the misdirection!  I was focused on identifying what might be
different between your system and mine, and a little too narrowly on the
font used in your example.

Have you asked about this problem on the freebsd-gnome mailing list?