Setup FTP service on FreeBSD 2.0.5?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Jan 6 11:31:28 UTC 2010

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 10:38:17 +0000, Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:
> As I recall for that vintage of FreeBSD, it was simply a matter of uncommenting
> the appropriate line in /etc/inetd.conf [...]

Which would be something like

	ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/ftpd ftpd -ll

Note that I've appended "ftpd -ll" to enable extended
logging which is often useful when running an FTP server,
so you can check things if problems occur. To make this
setting take effect, "touch /var/log/ftpd.log" and

	!ftpd
	*.*	/var/log/ftpd.log

to your /etc/syslog.conf.

I'm not sure if all these mechanisms have already been
present on 2.0.5, because I'm a FreeBSD user since 4.0.

Did 2.0.5 already have sysinstall? I seem to remember that
when enabling FTP, a little subtree was created in /var/ftp.
But I think it was related to anonymous FTP. If you're not
going to use it - I didn't say anything. :-)

> Enabling it to be automatically started on reboot is pretty much the same as
> nowadays: just stick inetd_enable="YES" into /etc/rc.conf.

Hasn't there been ,,ftpd_enable="YES"'' in 2.0.5's rc.conf
already? Allthough I'm running FTP services, I've never used
that setting (inetd is sufficient).

> If you want to
> provide anonymous FTP, then I believe there were instructions in the ftpd(8)
> man page.

At least on my (7-S) system it is the case, but there should
be similar information in earlier man pages. It describes
the stuff sysinstall does, as I mentioned (guessed) before.

For security considerations, keep an eye on /etc/ftpusers;
the names "ftp" (stands for anonymous FTP "account" - if
you don't want to provide that service) and of course "root"
should be contained.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany