7.2-RELEASE-p5 and kernel panic with mpt driver

Colin colin at southportweb.co.uk
Tue Jan 5 21:32:27 UTC 2010

Hi folks.
I updated my server from 7.0 to 7.2 over the Christmas period (sources
updated to 26th Dec I think).

I have long suspected there was an issue with a hard drive in the server
but the hosts told me that the useless messages logged by 7.0 were
normal. Well it turns out one of the drives failed today and caused the
array to keep changing status. This in turn caused about 20 kernel
panics in until the hosts pulled the drive and put a new one.

I noted someone else talking about this back in May on the
FreeBSD-stable list and the outcome seemed to be that a patch was rolled
in but it would appear that whatever this patch is - I don't have it!

Thanks,
Colin.