Problems building en-openoffice.org-GB-3.1.1 from ports

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Tue Jan 5 21:14:24 UTC 2010

On Sunday 03 January 2010, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> Mike Clarke wrote:
> > After pondering a bit more over this problem I think I know where
> > the 6.4 stuff may have come from. After I built the base system I
> > copied various useful files from /root on the 6.4 system,
> > including /root/.cshrc which contained a line setting PACKAGESITE
> > ftp://ftp2.uk.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.4-relea
> >se/All/ and it's quite possible that I ran portinstall -P for some
> > ports before I got round to changing this to point to packages-8.
>
> Yep.  This would stick a fairly hefty spanner in the works.

It certainly made quite a mess but it's surprising how well the system
has been running with all this damage.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions regarding the rebuilding
process. Although the procedure I had in mind was similar some of your
suggestions hadn't occurred to me and are much appreciated, I would
almost certainly have overlooked /compat/linux and the need to re-run
config-recursive.

I've copied my system over to a spare PC so I can rebuild all the ports
on the original machine without loosing access to a (sort of) working
system. All the ports have been deinstalled from the original machine
and I will now start work on re-installing the ports. Rather than run a
single massive upgrade job I'll follow my normal practise of getting
xorg and my nvidia driver working first then install the rest in a big
batch.

--
Mike Clarke