Updating from 7.2-STABLE FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE #901 to 8-release

eculp eculp at encontacto.net
Tue Jan 5 01:24:51 UTC 2010

I intend to first upgrade my old, but up to date, 7.2-STABLE FreeBSD
7.2-STABLE #901 to the latest 8.0 release and then probably to 9.0
current.  I want to conserve as much as I can so I thought that I
might give freebsd-update upgrade -r 8.0-RELEASE a try.  Previously I
have used cvsup and/or a cdrom but freebsd-update is binary and even
does ports so being lazy . . . .

I have tried and the following are the results.

freebsd-update upgrade -r 8.0-RELEASE
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
Fetching public key from update5.FreeBSD.org... failed.
Fetching public key from update4.FreeBSD.org... failed.
Fetching public key from update2.FreeBSD.org... failed.
No mirrors remaining, giving up.

I am trying to follow the instructions at
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.0R/announce.html

I guess that I could just use cvsup or the new dvd.  Does anyone who
has done this give me a tip?

Also to go from 8.0 to 9.0 should be fairly easy with cvsup, kernel,
world, rebooting and recompiling all ports, no?

Thanks,

ed