Restoreing Dump on FreeBSD headless server

bsd bsd at todoo.biz
Mon Jan 4 19:43:21 UTC 2010

Le 4 janv. 2010 à 19:56, Jerry McAllister a écrit :

> On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 07:08:51PM +0100, bsd wrote:
>
>> Hello folks,
>>

>> I would like to know how to proceed in order to restore a dump from a
>> backup headless server (remotely using ssh).
>
>> How am I supposed to proceed, should I first install the server (a FreeBSD
>> Fresh install with spare partition) then restore the dump on an empty
>> partition ?
>
> Depends on what you have and what you want to restore.
> Is the reason for the restore because the old disk went belly up?
> Or did you just nuke some stuff accidently.   Is the restore the
> boot disk or an extra work disk?

Well, to tell you the truth: I am using a remote backup solution since 2.5 years and the provider has just told me that he would no longer support my hardware
so I need to rebuild a new server based on my previous config

> In the first case, yes you will need to create something on the disk -
> some sort of filesystem.   Probably that would mean using a fixit
> image to boot and do an fdisk(8), bsdlabel(8) and newfs(8).

Ok, I think the server I will install that on might use some sort of virtual KVM that could allow me to do that

> It the second case, the filesystem[s] is[are] still intact and you
> only need to do an 'interactive' restore of just the files you want.
> IF you are doing an intereactive restore and if you have room, it may
> be easiest to copy the whole dump file over to some big space on the
> system and run the restore from that copy.  Then you can just ssh in
> and run it just as if it was setting beside you.
>
> The same might not be true if you are replacing a destroyed disk
> because the restore will be a complete one and no file selecting
> will be necessary.
>
> If you cannot get physical contact with the machine, and the disk was
> damaged and replaced, you may have to learn how to do a network boot
> and install.   I have never had to do that so am not a good one to guide
> that process.

Well my idea was to rebuild the new server based on the dump I have realised (in order to save me the time to do the reinstall).
But from what you are telling me It might not be so easy

> In either case of having to create slices, partitions and filesystems,
> you do not have to do a complete system install.  You need to do just
> enough building to have the filesystems created and mountable.

Yes but how should I partition that ?

Should I re-create the

/
/var
/usr
/tmp

or

/ with minimal system

and re-create the mapping with nothing on slice.

> The fixit
> is just fine for that.   If you can get that going remotely, then
> do the fdisk, bsdlabel and newfs-s from that and then restore from
> the dump to the new filesystems.

Ok, that should be the good path

> Forget about doing a real install.
>

>> Should the new empty partition be the exact same size as the dumped
>> partition ?
>
> It just has to be large enough to hold what you restore.
> In fact, it is a good time to increase or adjust filesystem sizes if
> you have more room on the replacement disk.

Good

>> Is there a tool that could allow me to restore remotely ?
>>

> You can use rsh(1).   I have done that.
> Probably some specific ssh method too, but I am so old I haven't
> done one with that new fangled secure ssh yet...

Ok.

Thanks.