FreeBSD versions

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Mon Jan 4 14:44:20 UTC 2010

On 04/01/2010 3:33 μ.μ., Mernoz Rostangi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if the FreeBSD 8.0 IA64 can be used on 32bit cpu also ?
>
> If yes, what is the difference between IA64 and x86 versions ?
>
> :-)
> ./m

The IA64 is intended for Intel's Itanium Processor. It is 64bit, but
will not on your standard Core2Duo or AMD64 processors.
You need the amd64 edition for the common 64bit CPUs (both Intel and AMD).
The 64bit versions cannot be used on 32bit hardware. On the other hand,
the i386 (x86) version will happily run on a Core2Duo or AMD64.