snd_hda blues

Sandra Kachelmann s.kachelmann at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 4 13:46:00 UTC 2010

I am trying to get my HDA based soundcard work on both output jacks
(back by the card and on the jack on top of the tower).

With earlier FreeBSD versions I was able to have my speakers plugged in
on the back of my soundcard and whenever I would plug in the headphones
on the top of the tower the speakers would mute and the sound would
play on the headphones.

Now this doesn't work anymore. The speakers work but plugging in the
"top tower jack" won't do anything.

Looking at man snd_hda I tried all the examples (adding stuff
to /boot/device.hints). None of the examples did what I wanted.

By googling a little bit I found a dude who had the same problem so I
simply copied the device.hints lines that solved his problem.

The following lines make my headphones work:

hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid22.config="as=1 seq=15"
hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid24.config="as=3"
hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid26.config="as=1"
hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid29.config="as=2"

However, after that my speakers are mute, all the time. If anyone could
help me restoring the old snd_hda behaviour I would be very thankful
since I don't quite understand what the snd_hda manpage is trying to
tell me (sorry, I really tried...).

Here are the information I think might help:

$ cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 64bit 2009061500/amd64)
Installed devices: pcm0: <HDA Realtek ALC883 PCM #0 Analog> at cad 0
nid 1 on hdac0 kld snd_hda [MPSAFE] (1p:1v/1r:1v channels duplex
default)

Any help is gratefully apreciated.

Sandra