This could be a wild goose chase but ...

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sat Jan 2 15:48:30 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 02:03:10PM -0000, Graeme Dargie wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been trying for a day or two to get
> /usr/ports/multimedia/handbrake to install on 8.0-Release AMD64, the
> port just stops bleating about wanting i386, I did some googling and
> found a supposed patch to cure this so it would install but that does
> not seem to make any difference as the patch does not apply correctly.
> Has anyone managed to get this going on AMD64 or am I just chasing the
> proverbial wild goose ?

Have you looked at alternatives like mencoder, of ffmpeg2theora. They work
just fine on amd64. They use much the same libraries.

Mencoder does H.264 encoding very well, But ffmpeg2theora gives _much_ smaller
files with good quality. It's weakness is that it cannot handle AC3 (dolby
digital) very well. So I like to resample the audio first with mencoder, and
then convert to theora video with ogg audio. For a wide-screen (16:9) DVD movie;

  mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream -dumpfile movie.mpg
  mencoder -ovc copy -oac mp3lame -idx -o movie.avi movie.mpg
  ffmpeg2theora --sync --aspect 24:10 --croptop 72, --cropbottom 72 \
  -v 7 -c 2 movie.avi

File sizes, to give you an idea:

movie.mpg	6500 MiB
movie.avi	5800 MiB