Where did the handbook go?

Frank Wißmann frank.wissmann41 at web.de
Fri Jan 1 21:34:05 UTC 2010

Manolis Kiagias schrieb:
> On 01/01/2010 10:01 μ.μ., Frank Wißmann wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I am wondering where my handbook is. Under /usr/share/doc/de/ where it
>> used to be is nothing appropriate. Has anybody an idea for me? Using
>> sysinstall to install additional docs didn't solve the problem. Or am
>> I wrong?
>>
>> Greetings Frank
>
> We now got the concept of documentation packages. These are installed in
> /usr/local/share/doc/freebsd and are available in all languages (for
> which a doc project exists of course) and in a variety of formats as
> usual (pdf, html and so on).
>
> If you haven't installed them when installing FreeBSD, you can do so
> easily by reinserting your DVD and running sysinstall. Select
> 'Configure' and then 'Documentation Installation'.
>
> You can also install using pkg_add or build what's needed from ports.
>
> For example, the German docs port is in:
>
> misc/freebsd-doc-de

This was, together with Warren's answer, what I needed. The docs are
building now and I hope I find what I need.
But that leads me to the question: Is there no handbook anymore in the
base system? And. if yes, why not?

Frank

--
GU d- s:+ a+ C+>$ UBS>$ P L- !E--- W N+@ !o K--? !w--- O !M- !V- PS+ PE
Y? !PGP- t+ 5 X !R tv- b++ DI !D G e h+ r- y?

When pack meets pack in the jungle
and no one will move from the trail
wait till the leaders have spoken
it may be fair words shall prevail