Need help configuring upsd, sound and logo saver on freebsd 8.0

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 1 11:56:02 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 05:00:38PM +0530, Manish Jain wrote:

> I recently installed FreeBSD 8.0 on my amd64 system attached to an APC
> UPS via USB and a RealTek HDA onboard soundcard. I chose 'logo' as the
> screensaver during installation, and put snd_hda_load="YES" in
> /boot/loader.conf and upsd_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf.
>
> On booting, the sound driver gets loaded successfully and the APC UPS is
> also detected (although there is no mention of the UPS in the output of
> dmesg). I have the following problems :

If there is nothing in dmesg, how do you know if it is detected?

> 1) There is no sound. AFAIK, there is a sysctl parameter to be tuned for
> setting the correct audio channel (in my case hdac1), but I have
> forgotten the parameter name. Can someone please remind me ?

I think 'hw.snd.default_unit' is the one you are looking for. The command 'cat
/dev/sndstat' gives you an overview of which devices are available.

Also have a look at the output of 'mixer'. Maybe some volume is just set to
0. :-)

> 2) upsd complains of inappropriate ioctl no matter which USB device node
> I set in /usr/local/etc/upsd.conf. How can I set the device name
> correctly so that the OS can shut itself down properly on extended power
> failure ?

If the UPS daemon acts as a serial device, it binds to the ucom(4) driver. So
you'd expect to see a /dev/cuaU? and /dev/ttyU? device.

> 3) For my console saver ('logo'), I get the following error message at
> boot-time :
>
> module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (logo_saver, 0xffffffff81044010, 0) error 19

Can't help you here. I never use it.

Roland