can't bring ath0 up

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Sun Feb 28 10:54:28 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I have just upgrade my FreeBSD server from 7 to 8. Everything seems to be
working OK, except the Atheros-based wireless network card, which I had
configured as an access point and which worked fine under 7 for several
years.

The command:

# ifconfig ath0 up

works fine, but anything else returns an error message. For example:

# ifconfig ath0 192.168.3.1
ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Invalid argument

or this, copied & pasted directly from the FreeBSD Handbook:

# ifconfig ath0 ssid freebsdap mode 11g mediaopt hostap inet 192.168.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig: SIOCS80211: Invalid argument

Any ideas on what is going on here?

-----