RESOLVED: Printing via USB Port

Bill Tillman btillman99 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 27 20:44:44 UTC 2010

--- On Sat, 2/27/10, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

From: Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com>
Subject: Re: RESOLVED: Printing via USB Port
To: "Bill Tillman" <btillman99 at yahoo.com>
Cc: "Robert Bonomi" <bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com>, freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Date: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 2:26 PM

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010, Bill Tillman wrote:
> Okay guys this is finally working. I found the answer here:
>
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?p=64508
>
> This didn't come up in my other searches.
>
> This morning I put in "freebsd hl2040 usb" into my yahoo search and this came up.

Didn't you get my last message yesterday?  It had that very link.

> Seems this guy got it to work by using unlpt0 not ulpt0. I had tried this before and was using the ifhp filter but that didn't work.

The printer is not HP or even PCL, so ifhp is likely not the right filter.

> So I did this with /etc/printcap:
>
> lp|HL2040|Brother HL-2040:\
>         :lp=/dev/unlpt0:\
>         :af=/home/bill/hl1250.ppd:\
>         :if=/usr/local/bin/foomatic-rip:\
>         :lf=/var/log/lpd/hl2040.log:\
>         :sh:sd=/var/spool/lpd/laser:

It was probably the unlpt0 device that cured it.  Could you verify whether the plain lpd entry with the unlpt0 device works?

lp:\
     :lp=/dev/unlpt0:\
     :sh:\
     :mx#0:\
     :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
     :if=/usr/local/libexec/ps2hl1250: \
     :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

OK, got the server and the printer back in their respective holes. Made the necessary changes on the server's config and it's working. Test pages et.al are being sent and printed like before but this time it's on the USB setup.

Warren, I must have been missing the forest for the trees. I saw your link but was convinced it was just another story about how it's not working. Anyway, turns out there is no need to make one a member of daemon group for this.

Now one last question. I print from two segments in my home LAN. One is 10.0.0.0/24 which is where almost everything in the house is. The other is 192.168.0.0/24 which is for all the wireless devices and guests who visit with their wireless laptops. I need to start lpd with -W parameter in order to get it to accept print jobs from the 192.168.0.0/24 wireless segment. So what is the proper syntax for this in /etc/rc.conf

lpd_enable="YES"   ????

or should I just start lpd from /etc/rc.local where I can setup the command line as I need it?

Will test your other /etc/printcap settings listed above and report back.