Printing via USB Port

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Fri Feb 26 23:38:48 UTC 2010

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010, Bill Tillman wrote:

> Thanks again for your valuable input. I have set up lpd printing on my
> old FreeBSD server at least a dozen times and it became a simple
> routine to do with apsfilter. Let me see if I can place all my cards
> in one place and perhaps we can find the bug.

I think I found it.  The HL-2040 is a GDI printer, aka winprinter (aka
"oh no, one of those", aka "I guess I didn't really want to print that
after all").  It won't respond to PCL, unlike the one I looked up first,
the HL-2060.

Based on http://beej.us/hl2040/:

   % cd /usr/local/libexec
   % cp ps2pcl ps2hl1250

Change the line in ps2hl1250 to:

/usr/local/bin/gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=hl1250 -sOutputFile=- -
                                                 ^^^^^^
And change the if= line in the printcap to refer to ps2hl1250.

(And remember, buying winprinters just encourages them to make more.)