IDE ZIP100 Drive

Programmer In Training pit at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us
Fri Feb 26 04:28:32 UTC 2010

OK, after some searching (while not the best search engine around,
Startpage comes up a winner more often than not if there is anything
relevant to be found) I've come up (almost) empty handed[0-1].
Everything else I've found so far for IOMEGA ZIP100 drives deals with
the external drive (either USB or parallel port). I've not seen anything
in dmesg or /var/log/messages that would indicate that the device is
being detected by anything on boot aside from the BIOS. I'm not sure of
the pin selector on the drive but it is cabled as the secondary master
(the primary master being my hard drive, of course).

I did try "mount_msdosfs /dev/ad1s4 /mnt/zip" (zip added by me after
creating the appropriate directory in /mnt) but came up with
"mount_msdosfs: /dev/adls4: No such file or directory" (there is a disk
currently loaded). Does anyone else have any experience with these
drives? Are there any docs I'm missing (aside from the FreeBSD Handbook,
which is silent about this under-appreciated (and unfortunately
over-priced) device[2])?

[0]: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/zip-drive/
[1]:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=734560+0+archive/1997/freebsd-questions/19970518.freebsd-questions