Printing via USB Port

Bill Tillman btillman99 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 26 01:28:36 UTC 2010

I had a nifty setup with an old computer running as my FreeBSD file and print server. Worked so good I decided to update the computer. But since most computers no longer come with parallel port for printing I'm forced to use the USB feature on my Brother HL-2040 printer.

In the previous setup I used apsfilter to install the proper filter and entries for /etc/printcap. But alas, apsfilter won't install right now because the hpijs port is broken. Short of this, can anyone recommend a way around this. I tried cups but I could not get it to work even though it found the printer on ulpt0:.