can I do away with most things-java?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu Feb 25 01:37:24 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 11:56:18PM +0100, Torgeir Hoffmann wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> On 23 February 2010 23:28, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
>

> >        Some years ago I thought that future java tools would have
> >        BSD ports that did not demand that we fetch them ourselves?
> >        Now, among the few things left to rebuild/update is
> >        diablo-jdk16.  The makefile sez to fetch
> >        tzupdater-1_3_25-2009u.zip.
> >
> >        Can somebody please give me the exact URL that points to this
> >        file?
> >
> >        More to the point, will a java port like openjdk free me from
> >        any Sun ports?  Right now, a test pkg_delete of d-jdk16 gave
> >        me:
> >

> > t at tao:/var/db/pkg# pkg_delete diablo-jdk-1.6.0.07.02_7/
> > pkg_delete: package 'diablo-jdk-1.6.0.07.02_7' is required by these other
> > packages
> > and may not be deinstalled:
> > apache-ant-1.7.1
> > freemind-0.8.1_1,1
> > swt-3.5.1
> >
> >        Anybody?
> >

> I simply use the package for 7 with compatibility. I have no idea what is
> going on with FreeBSD Foundation and why no new
> packages for 8-RELEASE have been built. OpenJDK will partially free you. I
> tried it too, but I recall correctly you cannot build
> it without bootstrapping it with the Diablo the first time (subsequently, it
> can be built with the old version of OpenJDK on each update - please correct
> me if this is wrong).
>
> However, I never succeeded in making any browser plugin for openjdk work.
>
> If you have a problem with 'tzupdater', download the latest one from Sun's
> site and alter the checksums in
> /usr/ports/java/diablo-jdk16/distinfo with the correct checksums and size.
>
> Hope this helps,

	It does help to the extent that I successfully built
	openjdk7.  What I need to know, if you or anyone else know
	is, can I now pkg_delete diablo-jdk16 --- and still have tools
	like swt and freemind work?

	Still cannot find the Latest tzupdater; it's like 90 links to
	find the bloody thing.  Aaarrrgh.

    The 7.79a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php