Dump questions

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Tue Feb 23 18:15:00 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 03:10:01PM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> On 22/02/2010 14:30, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> > No.   In multi-user, files are still changing.   The snapshot could
> > possibly be made between parts of a change - between different writes
> > to the file, so there could be some inconsistency.  In practice this
> > is not a big problem, but, single user with filesystems unmounted is
> > still the most absolute way of making sure a filesystem is quiescent
> > during a dump.
>
> Umm.... you don't *need* to go to single user to ensure a consistent
> filesystem dump: unmounting the partition is sufficient, or remounting
> it read-only.

True.  But, the problem with that, as you follow with is that it can
produce a lot of fudd from parts of the running system that expect to
find that file system mountable and writable.  Plus some filesystems
such as maybe /usr, etc may be needed for the multi-user system to
operate at all.  So, you either don't dump them or go to single user
just for them or use -L and not worry about it, or whatever.

////jerry