if this is a stupid q...

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Mon Feb 22 20:24:12 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:43:58AM -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Feb 21), Gary Kline said:
> > Excuse me, butthis IS a stupid question.  I've tried to figure it out
> > logically and by experimentation; just want to see if my findings jib with
> > the unix wizards onlist.
> >
> > Now/then i do a portupgrade; I probably should just cron this, but it has
> > given me problems before, so I do it while I can monitor the run.
> >
> > I'll do
> >
> > # portupgrade -akOPv
> >
> > then go ahead and work on other things.   Question is What do I renice the
> > run at [ruby] to set it to low at very low-power?  I've tried like -17 and
> > +17 (or just 17) because I learned that nice'ing the prio level higher
> > than 0 was giving it a lower prio.  Thus the rest of what I was doing
> > could run anmost unaffected.  Sometimes I'll be running a vi or two with
> > portupgrade the Only other thing running [compiling, usually], and my
> > editing is extremely slow.
>
> Output of vmstat or top during the slowdown might be useful here.  If editor
> responsiveness is bad, you're either running dozens of cpu-hogging
> processes, or running the system so far out of memory that your editor is
> being swapped out while you're typing.  Certain ports may require a lot of
> ram to build (the jdk*/openjdk* ports possibly), but none should launch more
> processes than you have CPUs.

	Hm.  Sometimes ruby is near the top of the list when I check
	top.  Then, sometimes, it vanishes from the top and jumps
	down the list.

	AS for cpu-hogging procs, maybe, altho it's hard to see what
	they might be.  I *do* have several instantiations of Konsole
	running.  When i'm upgrading things I try to limit the number
	of browsers active....

	--Things have been behaving for the past day or so... [??]

    The 7.79a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php