Dump questions

Aiza aiza21 at comclark.com
Sun Feb 21 12:52:39 UTC 2010

Polytropon wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 11:42:50 +0800, Aiza <aiza21 at comclark.com> wrote:
>> 1. Using the -L flag to create a snapshot of the
>> live running file system.
>>
>> Does this mean that a complete copy of the file
>> system is written to .snap directory?
>
> No. The snapshot, quite incorrectly explained, is a saved
> delta between the file system on disk at a given state, to
> fixate further modifications (that are not included in the
> dump, of course).

Sorry, I read your words but have no clue as what you are trying to say
with that statement. As i understand 'delta' to mean, the difference in
file system content between a point in time 'A' and 'B' some point in
time later in the future. Now just what is snapshot recording between
point 'A' and 'B' and how does that apply to what dump is going to read
and write?