Problems With K3b

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Sun Feb 21 10:05:08 UTC 2010

On Sunday 21 February 2010, Programmer In Training wrote:

> so I
> deinstalled qt33 and began recompiling it with the intention of
> enabling thread support. The compile of Qt than proceeded to fail
> (I've long since closed the window but could retry it to get the
> specific messages if needed). I need Qt back because I have quite a
> few apps that require Qt installed

I know that this won't help your immediate problem of getting Qt back
but it might help with future problems. You don't really need to
deinstall any package before attempting to rebuild it, e.g.

First create a log file for the task.

     script rebuild.log

Now create a backup copy of your current working package, adjust the
version number below to match your system

     pkg_create -b qt-3.3.8_11 /tmp/qt-3.3.8_11

Go ahead and build the new binary but don't attempt to install it yet

     cd /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt33
     make clean
     make

If you get this far then you've successfully created the binary so go
ahead and install it.

     make deinstall reinstall
     make clean

If everything goes pear shaped in the install stage and the new version
fails to install then just cd to /tmp and use "pkg_add qt-3.3.8_11.tbz"
to reinstall the previous version.

When everything is finished hit control-D or type exit to stop logging
your output. You have a full record of all output in your rebuild.log
file so if things went wrong during the build you can peruse it at
leisure even after you've closed the window.

> I realize now that I'm going to have to learn to use the port
> management tools to help prevent problems like this in the future

It's certainly worth spending some time to familiarise yourself with
portupgrade or portmaster - among other things these do all the
necessary steps of creating temporary backups and reinstalling them if
things go wrong. Portmaster should be adequate for most of your needs,
portupgrade offers more features but at the expense of a bit more
complexity

--
Mike Clarke