User Directories On FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Feb 18 19:22:05 UTC 2010

Hi--

On Feb 18, 2010, at 11:10 AM, Programmer In Training wrote:
> Am I just having a case of the stupids here? It has been a few years
> since I've managed Apache even for local testing. I've also adjusted the
> permissions for that directory with no change. Also, the log files show
> Apache going to /home/*/public_html instead of /usr/home/*/public_html,
> basically ignoring the settings I gave it.

Apache is going to look up the home directories specified in /etc/passwd via getpwent() or similar.  If allowed, it would chase a symlink from /home to under /usr/home, but SymLinksIfOwnerMatch is likely to matter here.

You should be getting more useful information in the Apache error log...perhaps /var/log/httpd-error.log, depending on whether you used the Apache from ports or rolled your own.

Regards,
--
-Chuck