FreeBSD to Cisco ASA 5505 VPN Connection

Bill Tillman btillman99 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 18 01:55:03 UTC 2010

--- On Wed, 2/17/10, Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:

From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com>
Subject: Re: FreeBSD to Cisco ASA 5505 VPN Connection
To: "Bill Tillman" <btillman99 at yahoo.com>
Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Date: Wednesday, February 17, 2010, 5:17 PM

Hi--

On Feb 17, 2010, at 3:06 PM, Bill Tillman wrote:
> The tech told me that I need to forward ports 500 and 4500 with my FreeBSD router to the small VPN router inside my LAN. That's simple enought but then he tells me I need to redirect all EPS and all AH traffic as well. I guess this is where FreeBSD+NATD+IPFW hits the wall when working with Cisco or is it? I gotta believe this can work but I don't know how the heck to do it and the tech at our IT consultant is totally lost when it comes to anything besides Cisco equipment.
> Has anyone got a suggestion on how to do a port redirect with natd to pickup these EPS and AH packets. I added some new lines to my /etc/natd.conf file and the AH part seemed ok but the console screen immediately said what the heck is EPS. And worse it did not work. Only when I put the VPN router outside of my existing router does this setup work. I really want to keep this thing inside my LAN or even better would be how do I get my existing router to work as a VPN on it's own?

When I was dealing with the Cisco VPN client, I was doing so with IPFW+natd and you need 500/udp, 4500/udp, 62515/udp, 1723/tcp, 10000/tcp, and the GRE protocol.  In my case, /etc/natd.conf contained:

punch_fw 10000:100
redirect_proto gre 10.1.1.247
redirect_port udp 10.1.1.247:500 500
redirect_port udp 10.1.1.247:4500 4500
redirect_port udp 10.1.1.247:62515 62515
redirect_port tcp 10.1.1.247:10000 10000
redirect_port tcp 10.1.1.247:pptp pptp

...to send the traffic to a VPN endpoint located at IP 10.1.1.247.

Regards,
--
-Chuck

Thanks for everyone's valuable input on this. I'm still new to all this protocol and port forwarding topics.

As I see it, in the /etc/protocols file they list esp, ah and gre

so I would need all of this in my /etc/natd.conf like this:

punch_fw 10000:100
redirect_proto gre 10.0.0.252
redirect_proto esp 10.0.0.252
redirect_proto ah 10.0.0.252
redirect_port udp 10.0.0.252:500 500
redirect_port udp 10.0.0.252:4500 4500
redirect_port udp 10.0.0.252:62515 62515
redirect_port tcp 10.0.0.252:10000 10000
redirect_port tcp 10.0.0.252:pptp pptp

The VPN router inside my LAN is 10.0.0.252. Then I added these rules to my ipfw rule set:

ipfw add allow udp from any to any 500
ipfw add allow udp from any to any 4500
ipfw add allow udp from any to any 62515
ipfw add allow tcp from any to any 10000
ipfw add allow tcp from any to any 1723

The VPN router makes the connection to the other Cisco router but the phone still does not work. I turned the firewall in my VPN router off but still no go. This only works when I place the VPN router upstream of my router so it's got to be something in my FreeBSD router which is not letting the traffic through. I've been checking my /var/log/security file but don't see anything being blocked that's related to this.