custom kernel

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Mon Feb 15 01:23:37 UTC 2010

On 14/02/10 02:16, Derek Funk wrote:

> My kernel is basiclly is the generic kernel just with some added options
> and removed devices i don't have. I have built and installed many times
> after installation. I play around with this machine a lot and just want
> to be able to have my kernel installed at installation.

It's beyond me why you reinstall so often even if only playing around.
The only need AFAIK is if you need to repartition. In fact, reinstalling
without repartitioning and formatting your drives may create a mess as
leftovers from the previous install may not be properly deleted.

Anyway, if the problem is that sysinstall overwrites your previously
installed custom kernel in /boot/kernel, there's the option of
installing your kernel in say /boot/mykernel and then in loader.conf set
kernel=mykernel.

BR, Erik
--
Erik Nørgaard