Perl upgrade problem...

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 20:50:57 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Peter Harrison
<peter.piggybox at virgin.net>wrote:

> Up till now I've kept Perl on my machine at 5.8.9. I now see from UPDATING
> that upgrading to 5.10 is recommended.
>
> However, when I follow the instructions, I get the following error:
>
> laptop# portupgrade -o lang/perl5.10 -f perl-5.8.9_3

if you're referring to this:

20090911:
  AFFECTS: users of lang/perl5.10
  AUTHOR: skv at FreeBSD.org

  lang/perl5.10 has been updated to 5.10.1.  You should update everything
  that depends on perl.  The easiest way to do that is to use
  "perl-after-upgrade" script supplied with lang/perl5.10.  Please see its
  manual page for details.

  If you want switch to lang/perl5.10 from lang/perl5.8 please follow
  instructions in the entry 20090328 in this file.

Then you have misunderstood what it's saying.  That only applies to folks
already running 5.10 and if you have no need for that then do nothing
further.  If you really believe you need to run 5.10 then you should follow
the complete instructions from the entry.

--
Adam Vande More